Applewood Smoked Cornish Hens. Remove hens from brine and rinse thoroughly. Spatchcock the hens, remove the back bone and butterfly. (You can google how to do this) Applewood Smoked Cornish Hens. Smoked cornish hens are not only perfectly sized so that each person gets their own “little chicken” but they are also very easy to smoke in just a few hours.
Ingredients of Applewood Smoked Cornish Hens
- You need of Cornish Game Hens.
- It’s of McCormick Bruschetta Sweet Basil & Oregano Seasoning.
- It’s of Olive oil.
- It’s of Bottled Water.
- You need of Kosher Salt.
- You need of Apple wood for smoking.
Cherry: True smoke fans know that cherry wood is one of the best choices for Cornish hens because it's the perfect combination of fruitiness and mild flavor. How to clean Cornish hens Allow the hens to thaw, either in the refrigerator overnight or at room temperature during the day. Ensure that it is completely thawed out, with the gizzards removed, before cooking so that it can smoke thoroughly. Place the hens in a large bowl, and place the bowl in your kitchen sink.
Applewood Smoked Cornish Hens step by step
- Make the brine: Mix kosher salt and water, let dissolve completely. It could take an hour or more. You can also add in some seasoning if you want to, anything you put in the brine will adhere to the meat..
- Place game hens and brine in brine bag and place in fridge for 2 to 3 hours..
- Remove hens from brine and rinse thoroughly..
- Spatchcock the hens, remove the back bone and butterfly. (You can google how to do this).
- Cover each hen with 1 TBS of olive oil..
- Use at least 1 TBS of seasoning on each hen (this depends on your flavor palate and how much seasoning you like).
- Place hens breast up on your grill/smoker and smoke until internal temp reaches 165 degrees. I use an igrill so I do not have to open the lid until they are complete..
Cornish hen is best when butterflied before being smoked. Step One: When seasoning the chicken, take into consideration the wood you will use in the smoker. Applewood, mesquite and hickory have unique flavor profiles. Our Hickory Smoked Cornish Game Hens are farm-raised and selected for optimal tender & juiciness to be created. We take special care to ensure the highest quality cure, smoking, and cooking techniques before quickly packaging and freezing them to lock in their freshness and flavor.