Italian Bread Appetizer. Sprinkle evenly with salami and cheese. Stir together butter and garlic in bowl. Place on lightly greased baking sheet; brush with butter mixture.
This updated version of a classic appetizer uses only half the egg yolks of the original recipe and calls for soft bread crumbs to help firm up the filling. We replaced the mayo with fat-free mayonnaise and reduced-fat sour cream. —Taste of Home Test Kitchen. Classic Italian Appetizers – Antipasto Skewers Antipasto skewers are wonderful when you need to throw something delicious together in a pinch. You can cook Italian Bread Appetizer using 10 ingredients and 5 steps. Here is how you cook that.
Ingredients of Italian Bread Appetizer
- Prepare 1 tbsp of butter, melted.
- Prepare 1 tbsp of garlic finely chopped fresh.
- Prepare 1 of loaf bread.
- Prepare 1/4 lb of Genoa salami deli sliced thin.
- You need 6 of Provolone cheese (1 oz slices), (cut into strips).
- You need 1/4 cup of olives sliced , stuffed green.
- It’s 2 of green onions , sliced.
- It’s 1 of egg, beaten.
- Prepare 1 tsp of water.
- It’s optional of Poppy seed,.
Use items from your pantry and fridge like peppers, Italian meats, cheeses, olives, etc. This is recipe is totally customizable. This recipe is perfect for gatherings, holidays, or as a special Sunday football snack. My kids love it and so do my friends and family.
Italian Bread Appetizer instructions
- Stir together butter and garlic in bowl. Roll out bread dough on a lightly floured surface into a 12-inch square. Place on a lightly greased baking sheet; brush with butter mixture..
- Layer salami, cheese, olives and onions in in a 3-inch strip down center of dough to within 1/2-inch of top and bottom, leaving 4-1/2 inches of dough on each side of filling..
- Cut twelve 3-inch long strips, 1-inch apart, along both sides of filling. Fold strips across filling at an angle, alternating sides to give a braided effect. Pinch dough at bottom and top to seal..
- Cover; let rise in a warm place 30-45 minutes or until almost double in size. Combine egg and water in a bowl; brush over braid. Sprinkle with poppy seed, if desired..
- Preheat oven to 350° F. Bake 25-35 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from baking sheet; cool 10 minutes. Cut into 16 equally sized slices..
You can substitute butter for the olive oil, or any kind of steak for the flank steak. —Donna Evaro, Casper, Wyoming. Bruschetta, fried ravioli, antipasto—Italy does apps right. See all our top-rated Italian-inspired appetizers. An antipasti platter is probably the most iconic Italian appetizer, and for good reason: This classic dish is extremely easy to throw together and is always an all-around crowdpleaser. Place bread slices on ungreased cookie sheet.